Emley 2-0 Goole Town – Northern Premier League Premier Division

April 20, 1992

Emley and Goole Town had not been in the same league until Emley were promoted to the Northern Premier League Premier Division in 1991.  Goole had played in that league since 1968 whilst Emley climbed the pyramid through the Yorkshire League and Northern Counties East League and then the NPL First Division where they gained promotion as runners up in 1990-91.

The first ever meeting between the clubs had occurred two days previously at Goole where Emley came out victors by a single goal scored by Russ Green in a game played in gale force winds.  Now Goole had chance for an immediate response as no doubt both teams were still recovering from their exertions less than 48 hours previously.

Emley had the luxury of being able to bring some players in to relieve tired legs and one of those was Colin Alcide who was making his debut.  Alcide would go on to play in the Football League, notably for Lincoln City and played (and scored) against Emley in the famous FA Cup games in 1997.

Emley got off to a fast start with Peter Maguire coming close to opening the scoring in the 7th minute, and John Balmer also coming close in the 11th.  Goole were also looking dangerous though and Travis shot over from 25 yards whilst Ray Dennis saved from Hurlstone.

The deadlock was broken in the 28th minute.  Neil Wilson’s persistence in midfield won the ball and he sent Balmer away down the wing.  Balmer cut into the penalty area and drew the ‘keeper, before squaring the ball to Shaun Joyce who put it into the net.

Balmer and Joyce combined again to provide a chance for Maguire, but he shot wide.  Then two minutes before half-time Balmer was bundled over in the area by ‘keeper Paul Allen for a penalty to Emley.  But Allen atoned for his error by diving to his left to save Nicky Bramald’s spot kick.

In the second half Allen kept his team in the game with a couple of spectacular saves from Alcide and substitute Steve Codd.  Goole came back and Hurlstone had a shot which rebounded off Dennis’s body and was cleared by Mick Farrar.  On 75 minutes a Russ Green cross from the right was volleyed by Balmer and seemed destined for the net before Allen pulled off another great save to tip it over the bar.

Emley finally killed the game off after 85 minutes.  A clever chip from Wilson to Bradshaw forced a corner.  Wilson took it and Allen forced the first effort away, but only to Alcide who fired an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net.  Goole never gave up trying to get back into the game, but Emley’s defence held firm for their fourth victory in a row.

Team: Dennis, Hirst, Bramald, Mellor, Farrar, Alcide, Joyce (Bradshaw), Balmer, Green, Wilson, Maguire (Codd)

Headlines and some photographs courtesy of Huddersfield Examiner and the Huddersfield and District Chronicle

Related Posts…

No Results Found

The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *