Emley 3-3 Winterton Rangers – Yorkshire League Division 1

November 19, 1977

Emley and Winterton have a rivalry that dates back to the 1970’s when the two clubs went head-to-head over several seasons, competing for the Yorkshire League Division One title.  They met at Emley early in the 1977-78 season with Winterton as the current Yorkshire League champions having pipped Emley to the title the previous season on goal average.  This was when two points were awarded for a win, ironically had it been 3 for a win Emley would have won the title by a point.

So, when the clubs met on 19th November 1977 the game was already one which could decide who would be champions at the end of the season.  This was Mick Pamment’s second game in charge having taken over the manager’s role following the sudden resignation of Kevin McHale, and though suffering with ‘flu, he still managed to play.  Ray Dennis was missing due to serving a 28-day suspension following him being sent-off for retaliation in a FA Trophy game with North Shields.

Typically, it was a wet and stormy day at the Welfare Ground.  Emley took the lead when S.B Greaves scored with a rare header from a cross by Burke.  They continued to pressure Winterton and created several more chances but the Winterton ‘keeper was having a great game to keep Emley at bay.  Winterton were showing their threat on the break though, and they equalised after 38 minutes when Hobson headed in a Hughes cross despite the best efforts of Sharp to keep it out.

Cook came on for the injured Fielding just before half-time, but the half ended all square.  Emley were under more pressure as they faced the strong wind, but they took the lead again after 70 minutes when S.B. Greaves released Brookes who bent a great 20-yard shot inside the far post.  Then, five minutes later, when Pamment fed Lambert to score the third, the game looked over and Winterton looked demoralised.

However, it all changed due to an Emley error.  A mix up between Sharp and Kettlewell gave the ball to Davidson who set up Hobson to score his and Winterton’s second.  Emley were now rattled and Winterton seized their chance.  Another defensive error two minutes later allowed Ratcliffe to level the scores, and they came close again, hitting the bar.  Emley rallied but could not grab a winner, Pamment coming the closest.

In the return match the following March, the tables were turned with Emley grabbing a point with a last-minute Steve Skirrow penalty in a 2-2 draw.  And Emley went on to take the title from Winterton, finishing a comfortable five points ahead.

Team: Sharp, Clelland, Kettlewell, Burke, Ingham, Leach, Lambert, S.B. Greaves, Pamment, Brookes, Fielding. Sub: Cook.

Headlines and photographs courtesy of Huddersfield Examiner and the Huddersfield and District Chronicle

Related Posts…


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *